Yesterday u/steeevemadden suggested that we center Tipping Tuesday around charitable donations on Twitter. I’m listing some charities and ideas below.
@RNLI is a highly reputable UK-based charity that rescues 23 people at sea per day. They accept Bitcoin donations, and already have a ChangeTip account as well. Great charity, great cause, Bitcoin accepted.
$1 in #Bitcoin to @RNLI via @ChangeTip on #TippingTuesday from #reddit!
u/TheBTC-G recommended @Worldbuilders_, founded by Patrick Rothfuss which is a "teach a man to fish" charity. Please be aware that there has been no word of them accepting bitcoin donations at this point, so it could be a dry run. [more info]
$1 in #Bitcoin to @RNLI via @ChangeTip on #TippingTuesday from #reddit
$1 in #Bitcoin to @SeansOutpost via @ChangeTip on #TippingTuesday from #reddit
There’s also @EFF, who technically isn’t a charity, but still a valuable cause.
$1 in #Bitcoin to @EFF via @ChangeTip on #TippingTuesday from #reddit
I know I missed some. If you have any other Twitter-able charities, I’ll try to edit them in. Also, don’t forget about your favorite artists, musicians, scientists, actors, etc… If they’ve given any indication that they’re bitcoin-friendly, that’s a huge plus.
@IntelSoftware charity drive for young coders.
Amnesty International @amnesty
$1 in #Bitcoin to @amnesty via @ChangeTip on #TippingTuesday from #reddit
Here’s some general tipping etiquette to get the most out of your tips. Please encourage others to read this:
- Add the word ‘private’ to most tips to keep threads tidy.
- Try to tailor fun custom monikers to the communities you’re tipping in.
- This isn’t just about collecting tips. It’s about giving tips.
- Tips of higher value make a much better impression outside of giveaway threads.
- If somebody clearly does not want to be tipped, do not tip them, even as a joke.
- Do not engage in drive-by tipping sprees. It really pisses people off and mucks up the works, and is the primary reason why some people have been banned from other subreddits ‘for tipping’.
- Find original content, share some insight, then leave a tip at the end.
- Different communities have different minimum tip standards.
- All tip amounts are welcome in /r/ChangeTip, /r/BitTippers, and /r/FreeBits. Go subscribe!
- In /r/Bitcoin, we need to aim for at least 100 bits, but preferably $.25 or more.
- When tipping anywhere else on reddit, I cannot stress enough how important it is to tip at least $1.00, because any less will almost always leave a bad impression since they’re most likely not accustomed to microtransactions. If you’re not sure how it will be perceived, you can always ask first, and/or use the ‘private’ function.
Here on reddit, I’ve heard that /r/art, /r/DIY, /r/lifeprohacks and /r/writings have been pretty receptive towards tipping, but please be respectful of these communities. Tip the creators of content that you appreciate, and don’t copy/paste tips to trash threads. If you’re not sure whether or not tipping is acceptable there, just ask somebody!